Roots, Earth Wind and Fire to rock Welcome America
PHILADELPHIA - April 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter announced the entertainment lineup for this year's "Wawa Welcome America" celebration on the Ben Franklin Parkway.
The headliner this year is "The Roots," Philadelphia's own four-time Grammy award winning band.
"We've been touring the world with the same format for at least the past 15 years, and we're really excited to bring it home, so to speak," said Tariq "Black Thought" Trotter of The Roots.
Also taking part in the July 4th concert are Earth Wind & Fire, Michael McDonald, Estelle, Sara Bareilles, and DJ Jazzy Jeff.
Aaron Neville and Gerald Veasley will also perform.
"It's a great array of artists, It's going to be a lot of fun over that 11-day period of time," said Mayor Nutter. "There's fireworks, fun, games, stuff for kids, for folks who think they're kids!"
As always, this year's festivities will end with some amazing fireworks.
Wawa Welcome America runs 11 days around the July 4th holiday.
For more information, visit the official Wawa Welcome America website.
welcome america, pennsylvania, philadelphia, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 26 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 24 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 59 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 49 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
51 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg...
49 min ago
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
46 min ago
- Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
15 min ago