Denzel Washington filming causes stir in Cape Town
JOHANNESBURG (AP) -April 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- A movie starring Denzel Washington was a little too thrilling for a Cape Town neighborhood that has experienced gang violence.
Callers to talk radio said they feared gang fights had returned to the township when they heard the sounds of automatic gunfire overnight.
Denis Lillie, head of the Cape Film Commission, said Tuesday the producers had been authorized to film a sequence involving car chases and the firing of blanks, and had informed residents in the immediate neighborhood. But he says the sound carried further than expected.
Lillie says the Cape Town community is getting "used to the fact that people want to film here."
The movie, "Safe House," is described as a crime thriller.
denzel washington, south africa, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested 26 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?