Russell Brand says Helen Mirren wanted no respect
SYDNEY (AP) - April 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Russell Brand says he was on his best behavior when he started working with Dame Helen Mirren - until she told him off for it.
The extroverted British comedian plays a drunken playboy in the remake of the 1980s comedy "Arthur," alongside Helen Mirren as his straight-laced and long-suffering nanny.
Russell Brand told a news conference in Sydney on Thursday that "she's like, you know, a dame and a lady and so I was naturally quite respectful."
"I kind of was shy when I met her. I think she just did that to you know, break the ice: 'Don't respect me,' she said."
Brand said he's actually very polite in private, and would never have disrespected the woman who won as Oscar in 2006 for her depiction of Queen Elizabeth II.
russell brand, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 37 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash 22 min ago
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in White Marsh 23 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy....
22 min ago