Noted NJ Elvis performer Ted Prior dies at 68
GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) - May 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- Ted Prior, who spent 50 years performing the music of Elvis Presley before adoring fans throughout southern New Jersey, has died. He was 68.
Prior's manager, Neil Regina, said Prior died Sunday morning.
Prior had never missed a show before being diagnosed with cancer last fall. His streak of nearly 10,000 performances ended when he was forced to miss a New Year's Eve show.
His career path began at age 14, when at a party he picked up a cheap guitar he had no idea how to play and sang along to a record of "Stuck On You."
A friend yelled out, "Hey Ted, you sound just like Elvis!"
Prior soon began taking guitar lessons, grew out his hair and started learning every Elvis song he could.
new jersey, elvis presley, atlantic county, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 15 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 17 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 20 min ago
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Pfizer recalls antidepressant Effexor 8 min ago
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 48 min ago
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber