Noted NJ Elvis performer Ted Prior dies at 68
GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) - May 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- Ted Prior, who spent 50 years performing the music of Elvis Presley before adoring fans throughout southern New Jersey, has died. He was 68.
Prior's manager, Neil Regina, said Prior died Sunday morning.
Prior had never missed a show before being diagnosed with cancer last fall. His streak of nearly 10,000 performances ended when he was forced to miss a New Year's Eve show.
His career path began at age 14, when at a party he picked up a cheap guitar he had no idea how to play and sang along to a record of "Stuck On You."
A friend yelled out, "Hey Ted, you sound just like Elvis!"
Prior soon began taking guitar lessons, grew out his hair and started learning every Elvis song he could.
new jersey, elvis presley, atlantic county, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- School Closings & Delays
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers
- Nearly 1 foot fo snow in parts of Delaware
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 1 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands