Comedians mark Oprah's final show with punch lines
NEW YORK (AP) - May 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- While many reacted to the final episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" with tears and emotion, comedians found punch lines.
On "Jimmy Kimmel Live," Kimmel sang goodbye by performing the song "End of the Road" with R&B group Boyz II Men. The tune was renamed "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye (to Oprah Winfrey)."
David Letterman, whose up-and-down relationship with Winfrey has long been chronicled, earlier lamented not being invited to the farewell gala in Chicago.
"Honest to God," said Letterman, "Every day, I get out of bed and think: `What can I do to suck up to Oprah?"'
Many turned to social media to contemplate a post-Oprah world.
Among the notable comments made on Twitter were these: - "Apparently Oprah is responsible for life on our planet as we know it." - Kevin Nealon.
- "I miss both Oprah and Osama. Is there a way to pair them up for something?" - Michael Ian Black.
- "Oprah Winfrey is so powerful that she had the Rapture postponed until after her final show airs." - Joan Rivers.
- "It seems so unfair! Without Oprah, how are publishers going to continue their cross-fingers/hope-to-win-the-lottery business plan?" - John Hodgman.
- "Jesus will probably be the surprise guest. She got him started." - Paula Poundstone.
- "What can I say about Oprah that she hasn't already said about herself?" - Justin Stangel, co-executive producer of CBS' "Late Show."
new york, oprah winfrey, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 1 min ago
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 48 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos