Trump says no to presidential run
NEW YORK - May 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- After months of flirting with politics, Donald Trump said Monday he won't run for president, choosing to stick with hosting "The Celebrity Apprentice" over entering the race for the Republican nomination.
The reality TV star and real estate magnate made his announcement at a Manhattan hotel as NBC, which airs his show, rolled out its fall lineup.
He's spent the past few months weighing whether to seek the presidency, delivering speeches to national GOP groups, traveling to early primary states like New Hampshire and criticizing President Barack Obama from afar.
He is the second Republican in a matter of days to say no to a bid for the GOP nomination. Mike Huckabee announced Saturday that he wouldn't seek the presidency.
At the Hilton hotel in New York, NBC said that "The Celebrity Apprentice" would be coming back in midseason. But Bob Greenblatt, the head of NBC entertainment, said the only mystery would be whether Trump was host.
Trump then took the stage, saying the show has made a lot of money for charity and that he wanted to continue doing so.
"I will not be running for president as much as I'd like to," Trump said.
election, donald trump, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 9 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 28 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 21 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 35 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Building under demolition collapses in Old...
9 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
35 min ago