Prince Philip turns 90 in good health
LONDON (AP) -June 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Prince Philip is celebrating his 90th birthday in good health but plans to scale back his heavy workload in recognition of his advancing years.
The queen's husband says he wants to slow down and enjoy his time without having to keep a full schedule.
Philip has said he needs to cut back his duties because he is tiring and also having problems with his memory.
He has been involved with numerous charities for years and has attended thousands of royal events with the queen.
The prince's many years of service were hailed by newspapers and politicians Friday as he prepared to host a lunch for a charity that helps the deaf.
The Royal Mint has struck a coin to mark his birthday and Philip will also receive a 62-gun salute.
london, queen elizabeth, prince charles, prince william, prince harry, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 53 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish