SuBo the musical to tour Britain and the US
LONDON - June 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- Producers say the spectacular rise to fame of singer Susan Boyle is being turned into a stage musical that will tour Britain, the U.S. and Australia.
Scottish actress Elaine C. Smith has been cast as Boyle, a shy, forty-something church volunteer from a small Scottish town who became an Internet sensation through her performance on TV show "Britain's Got Talent" in 2009.
She went on to top the British and U.S. album charts and has sold more than 14 million records.
Producer Michael Harrison said Friday Boyle's story has "all the qualities of a fairy tale, but with the added bonus of being absolutely true."
The show, "I Dreamed a Dream," is due to open in March in Newcastle, northeast England, before a six-month tour.
london, susan boyle, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run