Angelina Jolie visits Syrian refugees in Turkey
DATE (WPVI) -- U.N. envoy Angelina Jolie traveled to Turkey's border with Syria on Friday to meet some of the thousands of Syrian refugees who have fled their government's bloody crackdown on dissent.
The Hollywood celebrity and goodwill ambassador for the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees arrived in the Turkish province of Hatay on a private jet with boxes of toys for the refugee camps.
There are nearly 10,000 Syrian refugees in camps inside Turkey.
DHA television showed Jolie disembarking from the plane in sunglasses. The actress rested at Hatay airport and then headed to a camp in the Turkish town of Altinozu, Turkish media reported.
Turkish authorities hoisted a 45-foot-long (15-meter) banner near the entrance of a refugee camp to welcome Jolie. It read: "Goodness Angel of the World, Welcome" in English and Turkish.
Police kept fans away from the actress at Hatay's airport and cameras were removed from rooftops and high points to prevent video of the visit.
One fan held a poster that read: "Angelina, kiss me for world peace."
Authorities said Jolie's own crew would provide images of her meetings with refugees.
In April, Jolie traveled to Tunisia during its refugee crisis as thousands fled from its war-torn neighbor, Libya.
syria, turkey, hollywood, angelina jolie, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 23 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more