Amy Winehouse cancels rest of European tour
LONDON (AP) - June 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Troubled diva Amy Winehouse has canceled the rest of her European summer concert tour and scrapped all public performances after an embarrassing appearance in Serbia, her spokesman said Tuesday.
Chris Goodman said Winehouse, who has struggled with drug and alcohol abuse, "is withdrawing from all scheduled performances."
Winehouse's show in Belgrade on Saturday kicked off what was supposed to be a 12-stop European tour. But she was jeered and booed as she erratically stumbled around the stage, unable to remember the lyrics to her songs.
Serbian media called the concert a "scandal," with the Blic daily labeling it "the worst in the history of Belgrade."
The next day, management canceled this week's shows in Istanbul and Athens. Further dates in Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Poland, Hungary and Romania have now been scrapped.
The tour had been due to end in Bucharest on Aug. 15.
Winehouse's breakthrough album, 2006's "Back to Black," won her five Grammy Awards and brought her worldwide stardom, The album included the hit single, "Rehab," on which she sang: "They tried to make me go to rehab. I said 'No, no, no."'
The song was prophetic: Winehouse's music has been overshadowed by alcohol and drug use and run-ins with the law.
The 27-year-old British singer has, in fact, sought rehab therapy in the past. Last month she spent a week in London's Priory clinic, which offers treatment for psychiatric problems, drug and al
cohol addiction."Everyone involved wishes to do everything they can to help her return to her best and she will be given as long as it takes for this to happen," Goodman said.
In addition to her stage troubles, Winehouse's recording career has also been put on hold. There have long been plans for a follow up to "Back to Black," but new material has not been released.
amy winehouse, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- AccuWeather: Damp and Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- NJ community joins forces to help 'storage locker' mom
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list