Shakira in Israel to promote education platform
JERUSALEM (AP) -June 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Colombian pop singer and UN Goodwill Ambassador Shakira is promoting her global education campaign with a stop at a joint Israeli-Arab school in Jerusalem.
Shakira kicked off Israel's third annual President's Conference on Tuesday with a plea for children's education worldwide. She said the Holy Land was the "perfect place to talk about how urgent it is to invest in education."
Shakira, 34, was born Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll in Colombia. She is of Lebanese heritage.
Shakira, whose hits include "Hips Don't Lie," "Whenever, Wherever," and "Waka, Waka," has established a number of charitable foundations dedicated toward advancing education.
She began her comments alongside Israeli President Shimon Peres with a single "shalom" - Hebrew for hello and peace.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 49 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish