Daniel Radcliffe musical shaken by backstage death
NEW YORK (AP) - June 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- The musical "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" will go on as scheduled Thursday night, a day after the cast and crew were shaken by a death backstage that scrubbed a performance.
A stagehand was found dead Wednesday night just before the curtain was to rise for the 8 p.m. show at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre. Stars Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette announced the cancellation from the stage.
The producers said in a statement that the "incident was not caused by an accident related to the production." They said the cast, crew and theater staff mourn the loss of a member of their theatrical family.
Police say they responded to a report of a 29-year-old male in cardiac arrest. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead. His name was not released.
Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office, said an autopsy was pending. Bruce Cohen, a spokesman for the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, declined to comment.
The show that was cancelled was to be the show's 100th performance.
broadway, theater, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 44 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 17 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 42 min ago
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 47 min ago
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman 15 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more