Daniel Radcliffe musical shaken by backstage death
NEW YORK (AP) - June 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- The musical "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" will go on as scheduled Thursday night, a day after the cast and crew were shaken by a death backstage that scrubbed a performance.
A stagehand was found dead Wednesday night just before the curtain was to rise for the 8 p.m. show at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre. Stars Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette announced the cancellation from the stage.
The producers said in a statement that the "incident was not caused by an accident related to the production." They said the cast, crew and theater staff mourn the loss of a member of their theatrical family.
Police say they responded to a report of a 29-year-old male in cardiac arrest. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead. His name was not released.
Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office, said an autopsy was pending. Bruce Cohen, a spokesman for the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, declined to comment.
The show that was cancelled was to be the show's 100th performance.
broadway, theater, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Spotty, but drenching showers this afternoon, a t'storm also possible
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Student and teacher shocked at Voorhees school 32 min ago
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
- Man gets life in prison for murder of Pa. musician
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend