John Couric, father of Katie Couric, dies at 90
ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - June 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- John M. Couric, father of television journalist Katie Couric, has died. He was 90.
Couric's son, John M. Couric Jr., said Thursday night his father died Wednesday at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington of complications from Parkinson's disease.
Services will be private.
The Washington Post first reported Couric's death.
The elder Couric, a Georgia native, retired in 1985 as a writer with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. He started his career as a reporter for the Atlanta Constitution and United Press before going into public relations work in 1957.
katie couric, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose