Alicia Keys helping produce a Broadway play
NEW YORK (AP) -June 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- Alicia Keys is following Jay-Z and Will Smith into the world of Broadway producers.
Keys, whose hits include "Fallin"' and "A Woman's Worth," will help produce Lydia R. Diamond's play "Stick Fly" this fall.
The work is a contemporary comedy of manners revolving around an affluent black family whose insecurities gradually reveal themselves during a vacation to Martha's Vineyard.
"I'm passionate about this play because it is so beautifully written and portrays black America in a way that we don't often get to see in entertainment," Keys said in a statement. "I know it will touch all audiences who will find a piece of themselves somewhere inside this house."
The piece has been performed in Boston, Chicago and Washington, D.C. It's set to begin performances at the Lyceum Theatre on 45th Street on Nov. 18 and officially opens Dec. 8.
The director will be Kenny Leon, whose Broadway production of "Fences" earned 10 Tony Award nominations. His other credits include "A Raisin in the Sun" and "Radio Golf."
Diamond, a playwriting professor at Boston University, previously adapted Toni Morrison's "The Bluest Eye" for the stage and has written "Stage Black" and "The Gift Horse."
In 2009, Jay-Z, Will Smith and wife Jada Pinkett Smith joined the producing team of the musical "Fela!," the show about Afrobeat superstar Fela Anikulapo-Kuti.
alicia keys, broadway, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 52 min ago
- Temps Soar 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 12 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
11 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
12 min ago