Rapper Ja Rule sentenced in tax return case
NEWARK, N.J. - July 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Rapper and actor Ja Rule has been sentenced in New Jersey to more than two years in prison for failing to file income tax returns.
The platinum-selling rapper, whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins, turned to look at his wife after a judge read the sentence in a Newark federal courtroom Monday.
He admitted in March that he failed to pay taxes on more than $3 million that he earned between 2004 and 2006 while he lived in Saddle River.
Ja Rule was sentenced in New York City last month to up to two years in prison after he pleaded guilty to attempted criminal weapon possession. The case stemmed from a gun found in his car in 2007.
The majority of the sentences will be served at the same time.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer 19 min ago
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co. 26 min ago
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault 28 min ago
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer
19 min ago