Effort to extradite Randy Quaid from Canada fails
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) -July 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- A California prosecutor says U.S. officials have rejected a request to seek the extradition of actor Randy Quaid and his wife from Canada to face felony vandalism charges.
Authorities in Santa Barbara have sought the couple's return for months. Senior Deputy District Attorney Lee Carter says the U.S. State Department notified him last week that it would not pursue extradition.
The Quaids were arrested in September in the coastal city and accused of causing more than $5,000 in damage to a home they once owned. They were no-shows at several court hearings and were arrested in Vancouver, where the actor sought asylum from a group he dubbed "Hollywood star-whackers."
Carter says the "Independence Day" actor and his wife can be arrested if they return to the United States.
randy quaid, canada, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 50 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 45 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
50 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
45 min ago
- Police push burning car in New Hampshire
59 min ago