St. Louis statue honors music legend Chuck Berry
UNIVERSITY CITY, Mo. - July 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- A statue of the father of rock `n' roll now stands across the street from the small club where Chuck Berry still performs.
The 8-foot-tall likeness of Berry was dedicated Friday in the University City Loop area in suburban St. Louis.
Berry, who is 84, is a St. Louis native whose staccato guitar licks and countless hits paved the way for the genre. Sculptor Harry Weber called Berry "a legend that will endure through several generations."
He already has, pioneering rock `n roll in the 1950s and still performing monthly at Blueberry Hill on the Loop.
Friday's ceremony included recorded messages from other music legends, including Little Richard, who called Berry "the greatest entertainer in the world."
Berry kept his remarks brief, saying he's a singer, not a speaker.
missouri, st. louis, music, chuck berry, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Snow today, heavy at times 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 14 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 24 min ago
- Pa. Lottery experiencing outages due to weather 50 min ago
- Video: David Henry's noon report from Rittenhouse... 38 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott's noon report from Delaware 40 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins' noon report from E. Norriton 40 min ago
- Video: Nora Muchanic's noon report from Trenton 57 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp. crash 56 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Snow today, heavy at times
7 min ago
- David Henry's noon report from Rittenhouse...
38 min ago
- Katherine Scott's noon report from Delaware
40 min ago
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp....
56 min ago