NY judge: Marvel wins Spider-Man, X-Men lawsuit
NEW YORK (AP) - July 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A New York judge has ruled that Marvel Worldwide Inc. owns the copyrights to more than a dozen superheroes, including Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, rejecting the claims of a legendary artist's estate.
Judge Colleen McMahon ruled for the company on Thursday. Marvel had sought to invalidate 45 notices sent by the heirs of artist Jack Kirby to try to terminate Marvel's copyrights, effective on dates ranging from 2014 through 2019.
The famed artist died in 1994. The comics were published between 1958 and 1963.
Marvel had said the work was done "for hire," a legal term that would render the heirs' claims invalid. A lawyer for the Kirby family did not immediately return a telephone call for comment.
new york, spider-man, marvel comics, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 11 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for missing Rider University student 50 min ago
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila. 56 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 39 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 40 min ago
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co.
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Eva Pilgrim on highway storm preparations
29 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
39 min ago
- Army, Navy teams compete in Rocky Relay
22 min ago