Music mogul honors celebs at charity fundraiser
EAST HAMPTON, N.Y. (AP) - August 1, 2011 -- Music mogul Russell Simmons and model Kimora Lee Simmons may no longer be married, but the pair came together in the name of charity at a dinner gala.
The couple hosted the fundraiser Saturday night to benefit Art for Life, a charity that supports arts programs for inner-city kids.
"We started this together 12 years ago," Lee Simmons said. "I hosted it every year forever and then I had to turn over the duties, and now we are back as a family and we are so excited. It is a great night."
The couple's two daughters attended the event, as well as Lee Simmons' partner, actor Djimon Hounsou, and their son. The Simmonses divorced in 2009.
The evening wasn't just family affair. Singer Mary J Blige, actor Ed Norton and fashion icon Tamara Mellon were honored for their work with the organization.
"It seems like a banner year, and that is really how you measure it," Simmons said of the fundraising efforts, which totaled more than $1 million before the event.
During the gala, Norton took to the microphone to express why he supports the cause.
"When you don't invest in the inventors of tomorrow, the economist of tomorrow, the doctors of tomorrow won't emerge because you haven't taught people to think in their individual creative ways," he said. "Creativity fuels everything that makes America dynamic."
Guests were later entertained by Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson, who performed three songs. They also had the opportunity to bid on a variety of items, including artwork and a chance to meet Justin Timberlake.
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 24 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 37 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 52 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
50 min ago