Rock Hall to honor Aretha Franklin with series
NEW YORK (AP) -August 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- Aretha Franklin is already a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but this fall, she'll be honored by the hall once again, as part of its American Music Masters series.
The Queen of Soul will be the subject of a week-long celebration by the hall and Case Western Reserve University. It kicks off Oct. 31, includes an all-day symposium and ends with an all-star tribute concert on Nov. 5. Performers for that show have yet to be announced.
In a statement released Tuesday, the 69-year-old Franklin said she was "thrilled and delighted" to be honored and planned to take part in the festivities.
Franklin returned to the concert scene this year after surgery for an undisclosed condition.
Past honorees include Bessie Smith, Les Paul, Janis Joplin and Woody Guthrie.
aretha franklin, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 7 min ago
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 15 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- SUV crashes into gas pump, bursts into flames
27 min ago