Rock Hall to honor Aretha Franklin with series
NEW YORK (AP) -August 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- Aretha Franklin is already a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but this fall, she'll be honored by the hall once again, as part of its American Music Masters series.
The Queen of Soul will be the subject of a week-long celebration by the hall and Case Western Reserve University. It kicks off Oct. 31, includes an all-day symposium and ends with an all-star tribute concert on Nov. 5. Performers for that show have yet to be announced.
In a statement released Tuesday, the 69-year-old Franklin said she was "thrilled and delighted" to be honored and planned to take part in the festivities.
Franklin returned to the concert scene this year after surgery for an undisclosed condition.
Past honorees include Bessie Smith, Les Paul, Janis Joplin and Woody Guthrie.
aretha franklin, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 34 min ago
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Teen wounded in Point Breeze shooting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Protests overshadow Mayor's budget address
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
34 min ago