Lil Wayne's new CD sells 964,000 units in 1st week
NEW YORK (AP) -September 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- It wasn't quite "A Milli" but it was awful close: Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter IV" sold 964,000 in its debut week for the second-best first-week sales of the year.
The figures were released by Nielsen SoundScan on Tuesday.
Only Lady Gaga sold more this year. Her "Born This Way" hit No. 1 with 1.1 million sold thanks in part to a one-day offer from Amazon.com to buy the album for 99 cents.
Lil Wayne just barely missed his own sales record. "Tha Carter III" sold just over 1 million when it was released in 2008.
Lil Wayne made "Tha Carter IV" available for digital download immediately after an appearance on the MTV Video Music Awards, and released a physical CD two days later.
lil wayne, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia