Beauty queen who shaved head wins Miss Alaska
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - June 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- An Alaska woman who shaved her head for charity three months ago will represent the state in the Miss America Pageant next year.
Debbe Ebben was named Miss Alaska on Saturday night.
Ebben shaved off her brown hair in March to raise more than $4,000 for the St. Baldrick's Foundation, which gives grants for children's cancer research. She did so as part of a public service project during her reign as Miss Chugiak-Eagle River.
Her hair has grown back and she now sports a pixie cut.
She says the underlying message to children who had lost their hair because of cancer treatments was that it was OK to be bald.
alaska, miss america, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway 40 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting 29 min ago
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor 59 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Dealer charged with selling Sandy damaged cars