Dozens of potential Jackson case jurors dismissed
LOS ANGELES (AP) - September 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- More than half of the first panel of prospective jurors for the manslaughter trial of Michael Jackson's doctor were dismissed because of hardship claims Thursday, signaling a long search ahead for those who will serve in the five-week trial.
And it is yet unclear how many prospects will be excused for disclosing strong opinions about Jackson, defendant Dr. Conrad Murray and the high profile case with which all potential panelists are familiar.
When the judge asked whether anyone in the jury room was unaware of case, not a single hand was raised.
A larger than expected contingent of 187 prospects showed up for questioning Thursday. Court officials said that of those, 115 were dismissed and 72 remained to fill out lengthy questionnaires probing their views of the case in which Murray is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the pop star's death. Murray has pleaded not guilty in the case.
A new panel of prospects was on call for Friday morning and questioning could continue Monday if a sufficient pool has not been cleared by then. The judge has said he wants 100 prospects available who have no problems with hardship and no views on their questionnaires extreme enough to require dismissal.
Those who reported for duty Thursday appeared ready for the news delivered to them by Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor: They had been summoned to serve on Los Angeles' biggest trial of the year - the involuntary manslaughter trial of Michael Jackson's doctor.
No one flinched at the announcement. And all indicated they had prior knowledge of the case.
The judge was not surprised.
"We didn't expect you'd been living under a rock for the past several years, or that you made a pit stop from Mars," Pastor said.
Authorities contend Murray gave Jackson a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol in the bedroom of the pop superstar's rented mansion in June 2009, but attorneys for the physician deny he administered anything that should have been fatal. They will contend that Jackson swallowed an overdose of propofol when Murray wasn't watching.
Murray sat with his lawyers on one side of a long table and prosecutors on the other in the vast jury assembly room, which was transformed into a courtroom for the first round of a jury selection process that is expected to take two weeks to find a pool of 100 people willing and qualified to serve on the case.
Those who passed the first hurdle of having no hardships were given a 30-page questionnaire to fill out. The judge said it was one of the most extensive such forms ever, probing jurors' lives and their knowledge of a case focusing on the death of one of the world's most famous men.
"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen," Murray said softly as he was introduced to the panelists. Attorneys also arose and greeted the prospects, who responded with a calm, "Good morning."
For the rest of the 20-minute session, Murray sat starting straight ahead, showing no reaction.
The judge told prospects he had decided against sequestering the jury because he felt, "Jurors would, in effect, be prisoners if they were holed up in a hotel.
"I chose not to follow that path," he said "and by making that choice I am reiterating my faith in every juror chosen in this case."
A central focus of his talk was the Internet and all of its offshoots.
"I certainly realize that for some of us, especially those who have grown up in the Internet age, searching the Internet is as easy as breathing," Pastor said.
But he warned that jurors must avoid online reports about the case.
"If you want to Google, Google away," he said. "Surf the Net, but not about anything to do with this case."
He read an admonition that will be repeated daily forbidding them to discuss the case with anyone, to post messages on social networks or to read any tweets about the case.
He warned they must wait until 90 days after the case is over to negotiate any deals to be paid for information.
"This is not a case about whether Dr. Murray is guilty or innocent," he said. "It's about whether the people can meet the burden of proving him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."
This was the second attempt to start jury selection. In May, the judge aborted an earlier session because lawyers needed more time to prepare. Prosecutors and defense attorneys will have several days to scrutinize the responses before direct questioning of potential jurors begins on Sept. 23.
Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, stunned the world. The King of Pop had been in final preparations for a series of comeback concerts in London, and the focus quickly turned to Murray, his personal physician.
The Houston-based cardiologist faces up to four years in prison and the loss of his medical license if convicted.
conrad murray, michael jackson, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 48 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
48 min ago