Paul McCartney, Nancy Shevell to wed in London
LONDON (AP) - September 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- Paul McCartney is set to tie the knot at the venue where he first married more than 40 years ago.
Officials said Friday that the former Beatle and fiancee Nancy Shevell have posted a notice of intention to marry at London's Marylebone Town Hall.
Westminster Council, which oversees the venue, said the notice was posted Wednesday, meaning the couple could marry anytime after September 30. They have a year to hold the ceremony.
The document lists the musician under his full name, James Paul McCartney, and describes him as a "business executive." It gives the couple's address as McCartney's London home.
Alison Cathcart, Westminster Council's superintendent registrar, said she would be officiating and was "delighted that Paul and Nancy have chosen Marylebone Town Hall for their special day."
"Lots of couples get married here because of the venue's reputation as a rock 'n' roll place to tie the knot and this ceremony will certainly continue that legacy," she said.
The century-old town hall is a modest venue, but its central London location means it has seen many celebrity weddings, including those of Beatles drummer Ringo Starr and Oasis singer Liam Gallagher.
Couples can choose among the Yellow Room, which holds 20 people, the larger Blue Room, the Art Deco-influenced Purple Room and the wood-panelled Reception Room, which seats 100 guests.
McCartney, 69, married his first wife Linda at the venue in 1969. She died of cancer in 1998, and he later married Heather Mills. They divorced in 2008.
The musician and Shevell have been dating for four years and announced their engagement in May.
It is the second marriage for 51-year-old Shevell. She was married for more than 20 years to attorney Bruce Blakeman and serves on the board of New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
She also is a vice president of a New Jersey-based trucking company owned by her father.
McCartney's spokesman, Stuart Bell, declined to comment on wedding plans.
london, paul mccartney, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 15 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos