Shakira named Latin Grammys person of year
MIAMI (AP) -September 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- Shakira is the 2011 Latin Recording Academy person of the year.
The Colombian singer and seven-time Latin Grammy winner will be honored Nov. 9 at the 12th annual Tribute Gala in Las Vegas for her artistic and philanthropic contributions. Friends and notable artists will salute her with their own versions of her songs during the gala.
Shakira is up for three awards, including album of the year, a day later at the Latin Grammys. The show will be broadcast live on the Univision Network.
The 34-year-old becomes the youngest person of the year to receive the tribute. Previous recipients include Placido Domingo, Carlos Santana, Gloria Estefan, Julio Iglesias and Ricky Martin.
Shakira called the award "truly an honor" in a statement she released Monday.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 6 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad