Shakira named Latin Grammys person of year
MIAMI (AP) -September 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- Shakira is the 2011 Latin Recording Academy person of the year.
The Colombian singer and seven-time Latin Grammy winner will be honored Nov. 9 at the 12th annual Tribute Gala in Las Vegas for her artistic and philanthropic contributions. Friends and notable artists will salute her with their own versions of her songs during the gala.
Shakira is up for three awards, including album of the year, a day later at the Latin Grammys. The show will be broadcast live on the Univision Network.
The 34-year-old becomes the youngest person of the year to receive the tribute. Previous recipients include Placido Domingo, Carlos Santana, Gloria Estefan, Julio Iglesias and Ricky Martin.
Shakira called the award "truly an honor" in a statement she released Monday.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Boy killed in Chester accident ID'd
- Unsettled to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman pulled from Phila. collapse loses both legs
- Committee sets hearings on demolitions in Phila.
- Video: Dash cam view of Lindenwold school bus crash
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Monday's storms
- Multi-alarm fire at titanium plant in Berks
- Girl, 4, dies after crash that killed father
- Burlington taxi driver death ruled homicide, victim ID'd
- Photos: 7 arrests in Phila. prostitution cases
- Automatic renewal contracts
- Tracy ties it in 9th, but Phils win in bottom half