Rihanna says she's happy for Chris Brown's success
NEW YORK (AP) -October 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- Rihanna says she resented Chris Brown for a time, but has put that behind her and is happy that her former boyfriend has found success in music again.
Rihanna tells Esquire magazine that disliking Brown "was taking up too much of my time" and that she has moved on from that.
"It was too much anger," the 23-year-old said. "I'm really excited to see the breakthrough he's had in his career."
Brown, 21, is serving five years of probation after pleading guilty to felony assault for the attack on Rihanna in the early morning hours before the 2009 Grammys. "Graffiti," the album he released 10 months after the attack, was a commercial disappointment. But his latest release, "F.A.M.E. (Forgiving All My Enemies)," debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart in March; it reached gold status and has multiple pop and R&B hits with songs like "Look at Me Now" and "Deuces," among other tracks.
"It's incredible to see how he pulled out the way he did. Even when the world seemed like it was against him, you know?" Rihanna said. "I really like the music he's putting out. I'm a fan of his stuff. I've always been a fan."
Rihanna has done well musically, too: Her albums following the attack - "Rated R" and "Loud" - have both gone platinum, and she's releasing a new album, "Talk That Talk," next month. Her latest single, "We Found Love," is her 20th song to hit the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart since she debuted in 2005.
Overall, she says she wants to see Brown do well.
"I would never wish anything horrible for him. Never. I never have," she said.
The November issue of Esquire magazine hits newsstands on Oct. 16.
rihanna, chris brown, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 42 min ago
- Steamy Situation 33 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams 18 min ago
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma 19 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary 20 min ago
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township 21 min ago
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- New push to revitalize West Philly's Lancaster Ave. 22 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
42 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
18 min ago
- Local search and rescue team helping in...
19 min ago
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor...
20 min ago