HBO to film Liberace biopic with Michael Douglas
NEW YORK (AP) - October 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- HBO says Michael Douglas is taking to the keyboard for its upcoming biopic of legendary pianist Liberace.
"Behind the Candelabra" will be directed by Steven Soderbergh. It will also star Matt Damon as Scott Thorson, the younger live-in lover of the flamboyant entertainer, to be played by Douglas. HBO made the announcement Tuesday.
The film's title refers to the trademark candelabra always gracing Liberace's grand piano when he performed. He was also known for his outrageous costumes and extravagant jewelry.
The 67-year-old Douglas has recently battled throat cancer, but last January he announced his tumor was gone and predicted he had beaten the disease.
"Behind the Candelabra" is scheduled to begin production next summer. No airdate was announced.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos