Elton John lauds NY governor for gay marriage law
NEW YORK (AP) - October 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- Elton John says politics have divided the United States, but at his foundation's annual benefit, he singled out one politician as an example for others to follow.
The legendary British singer hailed New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo at Wednesday night's 10th-annual Enduring Vision gala for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.
John thanked Cuomo for "taking a stand in New York and making the dream of marriage equality a reality in the state." The governor was seated in the audience.
In July, New York became the sixth state to recognize same-sex nuptials.
The benefit raised $2 million for John's foundation.
Alec Baldwin, Jon Bon Jovi and Sarah Ferguson were among the celebrities in attendance. Smokey Robinson provided the evening's entertainment. Anderson Cooper served as the master of ceremonies.
elton john, gay marriage, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Delaware County mail carrier accused of theft 8 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 5 min ago
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 11 min ago
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death 6 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Video: New warning about scams targeting seniors 23 min ago
- Healthcheck: Dealing with poison ivy 51 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy...
11 min ago
- Sarah Bloomquist checks on area roads
30 min ago
- Healthcheck: Dealing with poison ivy
51 min ago
- Top surfer got her start at the Jersey shore
31 min ago