Torres' blackface costume leads to criticism
GLENDALE, Ariz. - November 4, 2011 -- AwPhoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres is being criticized for wearing blackface while dressed as rapper Jay-Z at a Halloween party.
Fans and some media started criticizing Torres and his wife, Gianna, after teammate Paul Bissonnette posted a photo on Twitter of the couple both wearing blackface as they dressed up as Jay-Z and singer Beyonce Knowles at a team Halloween party Sunday night.
Torres wore a New York Yankees hat, black sunglasses and a white T-shirt as part of his costume, while his wife wore a sparkly dress with a "baby bump" underneath, a nod to Knowles' revelation that she was pregnant at the MTV Video Music Awards in August.
The Coyotes issued a statement about the costume, denouncing the reaction or claims that Torres is racist.
"There was absolutely nothing racist about Raffi and his wife's costumes. Raffi is a huge fan of Jay Z and his wife loves Beyonce. It was a Halloween party. The fact that this was reported is ridiculous. We will have no further comment," the statement says.
Torres signed with Phoenix as a free agent in July after playing for five different teams over 10 seasons.
The son of a Mexican father and a Peruvian mother, Torres often was the victim of taunts during his junior career, which helped shape his hard-working, hard-hitting approach to hockey.
Bissonnette, an avid tweeter with nearly 160,000 followers, defended his teammate to fans who denounced Torres' costume on Twitter.
"For someone to dress up as one of the most succesful couple's of our generation on Halloween isn't racism," he wrote under his Twitter name, biznasty2point0. "You are wrong."
charlie sheen, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Winter Warm Up 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 29 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 52 min ago
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco 40 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 19 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 53 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Winter Warm Up
58 min ago