Boosted by relaunch, DC overtakes Marvel
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - November 04, 2011 (WPVI) -- Call it a relaunch bump and jump.
DC Comics overtook long-time rival Marvel for the first time since 2002 after figures for October sales of comic books showed the publisher of relaunched versions of Superman, Batman, the Flash and others, gathering 51 percent of the market share for the month compared with nearly 30.3 percent for Marvel.
That's according to Diamond Comic Distributors Inc., the Baltimore, Md.-based distributor of comics to more than 4,000 retailers worldwide. Diamond Comic Distributors released the sales data on Friday. DC accounted for seven of the top 10 selling comic books last month, while Marvel had three.
DC recently relaunched its superhero titles earlier this year, dubbed "The New 52," featuring new origins and costumes for its many characters.
marvel comics, philadelphia, pennsylvania, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 41 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 36 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
41 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
36 min ago
- Police push burning car in New Hampshire
50 min ago