Ricky Gervais to return as host of Golden Globes
LOS ANGELES (AP) - November 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- Ricky Gervais is returning as host of the Golden Globes.
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced through Twitter on Wednesday that Gervais will take his third turn as Globes host in January.
Gervais left some wondering if he'd be back after his performance at this year's show, when he took pointed jabs at Hollywood stars and the HFPA, which puts on the annual ceremony.
The 50-year-old comedian posted a YouTube clip on his Twitter page Wednesday of his biting opening monologue from the 2011 show, promising "This (times) 10."
At the ceremony earlier this year, Gervais joked that the HFPA accepts bribes (just after the group was sued for allegations that it engaged in payola schemes) and swiped at stars such as Mel Gibson, Bruce Willis and Robert Downey Jr.
"I'm telling you now If you don't like it... (Expletive) you! If you do like it.. Love you!" Gervais tweeted Wednesday.
The HFPA acknowledged on its website that "not everyone is happy with the decision" to bring Gervais back because "his blunt one-liners targeting big-name celebrities caused anger and resentment in some quarters."
Downey said during the ceremony: "Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited, with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show is pretty good so far, wouldn't you?"
The HFPA said after the show that Gervais "pushed the envelope and occasionally went too far."
Still, the jabs paid off in ratings, drawing nearly 17 million viewers to the NBC broadcast and beating out its network competition in that time slot.
Gervais initially said after the show that he would not return as its host. Earlier this year, Philip Berk, who was president of the HFPA at the time, denied that Gervais had been invited to come back.
But the organization said Gervais "gradually warmed to the idea" and recently discussed his return with the HFPA's new president, Dr. Aida Takla-O'Reilly.
The 69th annual Golden Globe Awards will be held Jan. 15 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif.
los angeles, Golden Globes, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Mug shot released of McNabb after DUI arrest 25 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 11 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 13 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 23 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 14 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 22 min ago
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 24 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 16 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
16 min ago