Bonnie Pointer arrested during LA traffic stop
LOS ANGELES (AP) - November 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities say singer Patricia "Bonnie" Pointer of the Pointer Sisters has been arrested for investigation of possessing rock cocaine.
Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore says the 61-year-old singer was arrested Friday in South Los Angeles after the car she was riding in was pulled over for a mechanical malfunction.
Deputies say she was released after posting $10,000 bail.
In a statement issued through her manager Robert Watson, Pointer thanked the public for their support and prayers.
Watson declined comment on the arrest.
The Pointer Sisters grew up singing in church. Patricia and June formed a duo and were singing in clubs when Anita and Ruth joined them.
The sisters released their first album in 1973 and won a Grammy in 1974. Bonnie left in 1977 for a solo career.
She is due in court on Jan. 17.
drugs, music, los angeles, california, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino 40 min ago
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 2 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 12 min ago
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 19 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
12 min ago