Pentagon visit ahead for veteran who's dance champ
WASHINGTON (AP) - November 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has invited soldier-turned-actor J.R. Martinez, winner of this season's "Dancing with the Stars" competition, to meet him at the Pentagon.
During a 10-minute telephone call Friday, Panetta told the dance champion he demonstrated the strength and resilience of wounded veterans, Pentagon spokesman Capt. John Kirby said.
Martinez credited his military training for his performance on the ABC show, Kirby said. Martinez and professional partner Karina Smirnoff bested fellow finalists Rob Kardashian and Ricki Lake in the finale broadcast Tuesday.
Martinez, 28, was severely burned over more than 40 percent of his body when the Humvee he was driving for the U.S. Army in Iraq struck a land mine in 2003. After dozens of operations during a nearly three-year recovery, Martinez became a motivational speaker and in 2008 won a role on the now-retired ABC soap opera "All My Children."
Details of Panetta's meeting with Martinez are being worked out.
j.r. martinez, dancing with the stars, washington, d.c., entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 14 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 13 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 37 min ago
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 15 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
11 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
13 min ago