Haiti's Wyclef Jean defends charity
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - November 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- Haiti hip hop star Wyclef Jean says he's proud of the way his charity responded after the earthquake almost two years ago.
He says his Yele Haiti Foundation rebuilt an orphanage and set up a system of outdoor toilet and shower facilities in one of the largest shanties in the Haitian capital.
Jean's comments Sunday follow reports published by The New York Post saying his foundation collected $16 million in 2010 but less than a third of that went to emergency efforts. The Post also says $1 million was paid to a Florida firm that doesn't appear to exist.
wyclef jean, haitian earthquake, earthquake, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 31 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
30 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
31 min ago