Black Eyed Peas to join Obama for tree lighting
WASHINGTON (AP) - November 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Black Eyed Peas and Kermit the Frog are joining the lineup of performers who will help light the National Christmas Tree near the White House.
Carson Daly will host the lighting ceremony Thursday. Performers will also include Big Time Rush, Ellie Goulding, the band OneRepublic, country star Rodney Atkins and singer Marsha Ambrosius.
President Barack Obama and his family will officially light the tree. This will be the 89th year for the holiday tree lighting. The tradition began with President Calvin Coolidge in 1923.
This is the first lighting of a new National Christmas Tree that was planted in March. It's a 26-foot-tall Colorado blue spruce from a New Jersey tree nursery. Strong winds in February toppled the last tree that had stood on the Ellipse since 1978.
president barack obama, black eyed peas, christmas, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 48 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 47 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos