Black Eyed Peas to join Obama for tree lighting
WASHINGTON (AP) - November 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Black Eyed Peas and Kermit the Frog are joining the lineup of performers who will help light the National Christmas Tree near the White House.
Carson Daly will host the lighting ceremony Thursday. Performers will also include Big Time Rush, Ellie Goulding, the band OneRepublic, country star Rodney Atkins and singer Marsha Ambrosius.
President Barack Obama and his family will officially light the tree. This will be the 89th year for the holiday tree lighting. The tradition began with President Calvin Coolidge in 1923.
This is the first lighting of a new National Christmas Tree that was planted in March. It's a 26-foot-tall Colorado blue spruce from a New Jersey tree nursery. Strong winds in February toppled the last tree that had stood on the Ellipse since 1978.
president barack obama, black eyed peas, christmas, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- SUVs collide in Torresdale, 1 seriously injured
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 37 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 17 min ago
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe 30 min ago
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears 23 min ago
- Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on
- Body of WWII hero returns home after 69 years
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
37 min ago