Black Eyed Peas to join Obama for tree lighting
WASHINGTON (AP) - November 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Black Eyed Peas and Kermit the Frog are joining the lineup of performers who will help light the National Christmas Tree near the White House.
Carson Daly will host the lighting ceremony Thursday. Performers will also include Big Time Rush, Ellie Goulding, the band OneRepublic, country star Rodney Atkins and singer Marsha Ambrosius.
President Barack Obama and his family will officially light the tree. This will be the 89th year for the holiday tree lighting. The tradition began with President Calvin Coolidge in 1923.
This is the first lighting of a new National Christmas Tree that was planted in March. It's a 26-foot-tall Colorado blue spruce from a New Jersey tree nursery. Strong winds in February toppled the last tree that had stood on the Ellipse since 1978.
president barack obama, black eyed peas, christmas, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 46 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date 29 min ago
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital 32 min ago
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police