Russian billionaire gives DC's Kennedy Center $5M
WASHINGTON (AP) -December 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- Billionaire Russian investor Vladimir Potanin is making a $5 million gift to the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington to mark its 40th anniversary and support its programs.
The gift announced Thursday includes additional funding to renovate an Opera House lounge. It will be renamed the Russian Lounge when it reopens in late 2012.
Potanin says the Kennedy Center has played a key role in building cultural relations between the U.S. and Russia. Over the years, Russia's Mariinsky Ballet, Opera and Orchestra have performed there, as well as the Bolshoi Ballet.
Potanin's foundation will guide the design of the new lounge to showcase Russian arts and culture. It will be the fourth lounge dedicated to a country or region, along with spaces devoted to Africa, Israel and China.
washington, d.c., theater, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 17 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 12 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
17 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
12 min ago
- Police push burning car in New Hampshire
26 min ago