Russian billionaire gives DC's Kennedy Center $5M
WASHINGTON (AP) -December 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- Billionaire Russian investor Vladimir Potanin is making a $5 million gift to the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington to mark its 40th anniversary and support its programs.
The gift announced Thursday includes additional funding to renovate an Opera House lounge. It will be renamed the Russian Lounge when it reopens in late 2012.
Potanin says the Kennedy Center has played a key role in building cultural relations between the U.S. and Russia. Over the years, Russia's Mariinsky Ballet, Opera and Orchestra have performed there, as well as the Bolshoi Ballet.
Potanin's foundation will guide the design of the new lounge to showcase Russian arts and culture. It will be the fourth lounge dedicated to a country or region, along with spaces devoted to Africa, Israel and China.
washington, d.c., theater, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's 'chute gets tangled in plane 18 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
13 min ago
- Skydiver's 'chute gets tangled in plane
18 min ago