Amy Winehouse Foundation makes first donations
LONDON (AP) - December 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Amy Winehouse's father says meeting the first children to be helped by the foundation set up in his late daughter's name has been both heartbreaking and heartwarming.
The Amy Winehouse Foundation was officially launched 10 weeks ago to support vulnerable youth, and has pledged to donate 500,000 pounds ($780,000) in its first year.
The singer's parents, Mitch and Janis Winehouse, visited Little Havens Children's Hospice in Thundersley, east of London, on Wednesday to meet children benefitting from a 10,000-pound ($15,600) donation.
Mitch Winehouse says "it was heartbreaking actually . . . I'm starting to well up now, but heartwarming at the same time."
A British coroner ruled the singer, known for her beehive hairdo and hits like "Rehab," died of alcohol poisoning.
amy winehouse, london, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95 35 min ago
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- PennDOT preps begin ahead of wintry mix
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI 34 min ago
- Man shot, killed in West Oak Lane
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- Suspects sought in Glenside carjacking, abduction 24 min ago
- Underground transformer fire in Center City
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs Pearl Harbor tweet
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
35 min ago
- Suspects sought in Glenside carjacking,...
24 min ago