Amy Winehouse Foundation makes first donations
LONDON (AP) - December 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Amy Winehouse's father says meeting the first children to be helped by the foundation set up in his late daughter's name has been both heartbreaking and heartwarming.
The Amy Winehouse Foundation was officially launched 10 weeks ago to support vulnerable youth, and has pledged to donate 500,000 pounds ($780,000) in its first year.
The singer's parents, Mitch and Janis Winehouse, visited Little Havens Children's Hospice in Thundersley, east of London, on Wednesday to meet children benefitting from a 10,000-pound ($15,600) donation.
Mitch Winehouse says "it was heartbreaking actually . . . I'm starting to well up now, but heartwarming at the same time."
A British coroner ruled the singer, known for her beehive hairdo and hits like "Rehab," died of alcohol poisoning.
amy winehouse, london, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 17 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
17 min ago