Meryl Streep covers Vogue magazine for first time
NEW YORK - December 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- Meryl Streep may be one of the finest actresses around, yet she says she believed her career was over 20 years ago.
The 62-year-old tells Vogue magazine she was offered three different roles to play a witch after turning 40. She believed it meant women in her age group were "grotesque on some level," and told her husband, "It's over."
Streep played the editor of the fictional Vogue-like magazine Runway in the movie "The Devil Wears Prada." She is now gracing the January cover of the real magazine for the first time, joking that she's the oldest person to do so.
Next, she plays the former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in the film "Iron Lady," which opens Jan. 13.
The January issue of Vogue goes on sale Dec. 20.
new york, fashion, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ