Meryl Streep covers Vogue magazine for first time
NEW YORK - December 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- Meryl Streep may be one of the finest actresses around, yet she says she believed her career was over 20 years ago.
The 62-year-old tells Vogue magazine she was offered three different roles to play a witch after turning 40. She believed it meant women in her age group were "grotesque on some level," and told her husband, "It's over."
Streep played the editor of the fictional Vogue-like magazine Runway in the movie "The Devil Wears Prada." She is now gracing the January cover of the real magazine for the first time, joking that she's the oldest person to do so.
Next, she plays the former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in the film "Iron Lady," which opens Jan. 13.
The January issue of Vogue goes on sale Dec. 20.
new york, fashion, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman 10 min ago
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ