Billy Joel gets portrait at NYC's Steinway Hall
NEW YORK (AP) - December 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Piano Man is now officially a Steinway man.
A Billy Joel portrait has been unveiled in New York City at Steinway Hall, home to the famed piano maker Steinway & Sons.
Joel is one of only two living artists included in a collection featuring greats such as Hungarian composer Franz Liszt (list). He's the only non-classical performer.
The 62-year-old pop legend joked Monday about his painting's proximity to Vladimir Horowitz's, saying he doesn't know "how crazy" Horowitz is about having him that close.
Joel's painting features him standing upright in a leather jacket, with a Steinway in the foreground.
Joel says the jacket was one of the few items of clothing bought without a female companion. He says he wore it for years but his girlfriend recently dismissed it as a 1980s relic.
billy joel, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Robber slashed with knife; suspect's mom talks 6 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 55 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 39 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News 2 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in Whitemarsh
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash
- Robber slashed with knife; suspect's mom...
6 min ago