Man charged in attack on Simmons site
LOS ANGELES - December 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Connecticut man affiliated with a hacking group was arrested Tuesday on federal charges for an attack on a website belonging to Kiss bassist Gene Simmons, authorities said.
Kevin Poe was indicted in Los Angeles on two counts: conspiracy and unauthorized impairment of a protected computer. Poe made his initial appearance in court in Hartford, Conn., and was released on $10,000 bond.
If convicted of both charges, the Manchester man faces up to 15 years in prison. An email message left for deputy federal public defender Deirdre Murray was not immediately returned.
Poe and others linked to the Anonymous hacking group conducted a "denial of service" attack over a five-day period last October against Simmons' computer systems, sending tens of thousands of electronic requests designed to overload the server and render www.GeneSimmons.com useless.
Poe used a computer program favored by Anonymous that sends extremely large requests over a network in an attempt to overwhelm a target computer, according to the indictment.
Authorities didn't say why Simmons was targeted, but he made comments against copyright infringement at a convention in Cannes, France, days before the cyber attack.
No other arrests have been made.
Anonymous' targets have included MasterCard, Visa and the Church of Scientology. The group has turned its focus to law enforcement, intelligence and military-related sites.
Representatives for Simmons declined comment. The 62-year-old rocker was at a courthouse Tuesday for jury duty, according to his Twitter account.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy 56 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 23 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 21 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 22 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
56 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate...
52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
40 min ago