Colbert offering $500K to pay for SC GOP primary
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -December 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Comedian Stephen Colbert says he will pay half a million dollars to help fund South Carolina's first-in-the-South GOP presidential primary.
The Palmetto State native wrote in an op-ed Thursday in The State newspaper in Columbia that his super PAC will bridge the gap after state Republicans refused to contribute anything above candidates' filing fees.
Earlier this month, Colbert offered Republicans $400,000 if they'd name the contest after him. The party said no, and Colbert says he started working with state Democrats to get an advisory referendum on the ballot.
The primary is expected to cost $1.5 million.
An Election Commission spokesman says the agency would need to ask the state's attorney general if it can even legally accept the money.
Colbert did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
stephen colbert, republicans, south carolina, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- One Fine Friday!
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Hazmat spill sends 5 to hospital in Bucks County
- Mother charged with assaulting student at school
- 3 sought for robbery of 15-year-old
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- City remembers fallen firefighter Michael Goodwin
- Man wanted for exposing himself in Montco
- Powerball jackpot grows to $600 million
- Cops: Pa. woman served laced burritos to family
- Reading family loses son to swinging rope game