Colbert offering $500K to pay for SC GOP primary
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -December 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Comedian Stephen Colbert says he will pay half a million dollars to help fund South Carolina's first-in-the-South GOP presidential primary.
The Palmetto State native wrote in an op-ed Thursday in The State newspaper in Columbia that his super PAC will bridge the gap after state Republicans refused to contribute anything above candidates' filing fees.
Earlier this month, Colbert offered Republicans $400,000 if they'd name the contest after him. The party said no, and Colbert says he started working with state Democrats to get an advisory referendum on the ballot.
The primary is expected to cost $1.5 million.
An Election Commission spokesman says the agency would need to ask the state's attorney general if it can even legally accept the money.
Colbert did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
stephen colbert, republicans, south carolina, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly 50 min ago
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 52 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos