Cruise takes quiet Christmas with $26.5M 'Mission'
LOS ANGELES (AP) - December 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Tom Cruise's latest mission has won a holiday weekend that's shaping up with some silent nights at movie theaters as business continues to lag.
Studio estimates Sunday place "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" a solid No. 1 with $26.5 million domestically over its first weekend in full release.
"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" was No. 2 in its second weekend with $17.8 million. "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked" finished third with $13.3 million.
Big newcomers failed to light up the box office, though. David Fincher and Daniel Craig's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was No. 4 with $13 million, Steven Spielberg's "The Adventures of Tintin" was No. 5 with $9.1 million and Cameron Crowe and Matt Damon's "We Bought a Zoo" was No. 6 with $7.8 million.
tom cruise, los angeles, california, christmas, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse 37 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 30 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 36 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 34 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
29 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater...
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos