Cruise takes quiet Christmas with $26.5M 'Mission'
LOS ANGELES (AP) - December 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Tom Cruise's latest mission has won a holiday weekend that's shaping up with some silent nights at movie theaters as business continues to lag.
Studio estimates Sunday place "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" a solid No. 1 with $26.5 million domestically over its first weekend in full release.
"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" was No. 2 in its second weekend with $17.8 million. "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked" finished third with $13.3 million.
Big newcomers failed to light up the box office, though. David Fincher and Daniel Craig's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was No. 4 with $13 million, Steven Spielberg's "The Adventures of Tintin" was No. 5 with $9.1 million and Cameron Crowe and Matt Damon's "We Bought a Zoo" was No. 6 with $7.8 million.
tom cruise, los angeles, california, christmas, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 8 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 56 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
9 min ago