Cruise takes quiet Christmas with $26.5M 'Mission'
LOS ANGELES (AP) - December 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Tom Cruise's latest mission has won a holiday weekend that's shaping up with some silent nights at movie theaters as business continues to lag.
Studio estimates Sunday place "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" a solid No. 1 with $26.5 million domestically over its first weekend in full release.
"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" was No. 2 in its second weekend with $17.8 million. "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked" finished third with $13.3 million.
Big newcomers failed to light up the box office, though. David Fincher and Daniel Craig's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was No. 4 with $13 million, Steven Spielberg's "The Adventures of Tintin" was No. 5 with $9.1 million and Cameron Crowe and Matt Damon's "We Bought a Zoo" was No. 6 with $7.8 million.
tom cruise, los angeles, california, christmas, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 42 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 46 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident 42 min ago
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
42 min ago