Cruise's 'Mission' stays on top with $31.3 million
LOS ANGELES - January 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Tom Cruise's new mission remains impossible to beat at the box office.
Studio estimates Sunday placed "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" in the No. 1 spot for the second-straight weekend with $31.3 million. With a $134.1 million domestic total, it's the first $100 million hit with Cruise in the lead role since 2006's "Mission: Impossible III."
The movie led a solid New Year's weekend as Hollywood managed fair business to end a sluggish year on a more promising note for 2012.
Robert Downey Jr.'s "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" finished second again with $21.7 million, raising its domestic total to $132.1 million.
The family sequel "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked" was still at No. 3 with $18.3 million to lift its haul to $94.6 million.
tom cruise, movies, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 29 min ago
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar