Cruise's 'Mission' stays on top with $31.3 million
LOS ANGELES - January 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Tom Cruise's new mission remains impossible to beat at the box office.
Studio estimates Sunday placed "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" in the No. 1 spot for the second-straight weekend with $31.3 million. With a $134.1 million domestic total, it's the first $100 million hit with Cruise in the lead role since 2006's "Mission: Impossible III."
The movie led a solid New Year's weekend as Hollywood managed fair business to end a sluggish year on a more promising note for 2012.
Robert Downey Jr.'s "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" finished second again with $21.7 million, raising its domestic total to $132.1 million.
The family sequel "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked" was still at No. 3 with $18.3 million to lift its haul to $94.6 million.
tom cruise, movies, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Mug shot released of McNabb after DUI arrest 9 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders 26 min ago
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 49 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Frost Advisory Overnight
21 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
49 min ago