Berlin film festival to honor Meryl Streep
BERLIN - January 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Meryl Streep is to be honored for her wide-ranging career at this year's Berlin film festival.
Festival organizers said Monday that the 62-year-old Streep will be presented with an honorary Golden Bear, the event's top award, on Feb. 14.
Festival director Dieter Kosslick says that "Meryl Streep is a brilliant, versatile performer who moves with ease between dramatic and comedic roles."
The two-time Oscar winner will be honored at a screening of her latest movie, "The Iron Lady," in which she plays former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
The festival also will screen older Streep films, including "Kramer vs. Kramer" and "Sophie's Choice."
The Berlin event, the first of the year's major European film festivals, takes place Feb. 9-19.
germany, meryl streep, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police