Jimmy Carter's latest book offers lessons in faith
ATLANTA (AP) - January 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jimmy Carter may never have been president if he didn't go square dancing.
The Georgia Democrat credits a rural square dance club he joined in 1953 with helping him win a state Senate seat by a scant 66 votes. He shared the story in his latest book, "Through the Years with Jimmy Carter."
He writes: "If I hadn't received support from our square-dancing friends, I would have lost and never become a state senator. And if that had occurred, I never would have run for office again."
Carter has penned 26 different books, including childhood memoirs, treatises on the Middle East and accounts of his presidency. But none are like the latest, which offers 366 devotionals, each with a biblical passage, a personal story and an original prayer.
jimmy carter, writers, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 22 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 56 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 55 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
42 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos