Ali returning home to Louisville for 70th birthday
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - January 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Muhammad Ali Center is planning a 70th birthday bash for the former heavyweight champion in his hometown of Louisville.
The party will highlight a series of events in Ali's hometown to mark his 70th birthday on Jan. 17.
Ali plans to attend the Jan. 14 private birthday party that will include dinner, entertainment and speeches. Ali Center spokeswoman Jeanie Kahnke said Saturday that Ali will be surrounded by old friends, including longtime trainer Angelo Dundee.
Kahnke said Ali and his wife, Lonnie, are looking forward to returning for the celebration. They have homes in Arizona, Michigan and Louisville.
A series of community events begins Jan. 15. The Ali Center is a cultural and education center that also includes a museum focusing on Ali's career as a boxer and humanitarian.
muhammad ali, kentucky, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed