Aretha Franklin to play New Orleans' Essence Fest
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -January 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Newly engaged queen of soul Aretha Franklin, Mary J. Blige, Stephanie Mills and Charlie Wilson are among entertainers set to perform at this summer's Essence Music Festival in New Orleans.
The event, set for July 6-8, is billed as one of the largest gatherings of black artists in the country. Performances will be held at the Superdome while seminars with speakers, artists and authors will take place at the city's convention center.
This will be the 18th annual Essence Music Festival and the third time Franklin has performed at the event. Franklin, who became engaged over the holidays to longtime friend Willie Wilkerson, performed during the festival's inaugural year in 1995 and again in 2005.
The festival began as a one-time event celebrating the 25th anniversary of Essence magazine.
aretha franklin, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors 18 min ago
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila. 10 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co.
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Upping Saturday's snowfall projections
21 min ago