Hawaii, New York top 3rd round of Miss America
LAS VEGAS (AP) - January 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A jump roping Miss Hawaii topped contestants in the third round of the Miss America talent competition in Las Vegas, while a swimsuit-clad Miss New York scored honors in the lifestyle and fitness category.
Miss Hawaii Lauren Cheape won a $2,000 scholarship for her routine to "Hawaii Five-O" at Thursday night's preliminary. The talent portion is 35 percent of a contestant's score.
Miss New York Kaitlin Monte earned a $1,000 scholarship after appearing in a Monte Carlo Komplique swimsuit. The fitness category is 15 percent of a contestant's score.
The two join Miss Wisconsin and Miss Oklahoma, who won for talent in preliminaries earlier this week. Miss Utah and Miss Texas won swimsuit in rounds one and two.
The finals are Saturday at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino.
las vegas, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- South Street area restaurants damaged, burglarized 31 min ago
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)