Hawaii, New York top 3rd round of Miss America
LAS VEGAS (AP) - January 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A jump roping Miss Hawaii topped contestants in the third round of the Miss America talent competition in Las Vegas, while a swimsuit-clad Miss New York scored honors in the lifestyle and fitness category.
Miss Hawaii Lauren Cheape won a $2,000 scholarship for her routine to "Hawaii Five-O" at Thursday night's preliminary. The talent portion is 35 percent of a contestant's score.
Miss New York Kaitlin Monte earned a $1,000 scholarship after appearing in a Monte Carlo Komplique swimsuit. The fitness category is 15 percent of a contestant's score.
The two join Miss Wisconsin and Miss Oklahoma, who won for talent in preliminaries earlier this week. Miss Utah and Miss Texas won swimsuit in rounds one and two.
The finals are Saturday at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino.
las vegas, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 53 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 20 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom