Bruno Mars clears up Vegas cocaine possession case
LAS VEGAS (AP) - January 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Pop star Bruno Mars was cleared of a felony cocaine possession case in Nevada on Wednesday, after his attorneys told a state court judge the Grammy-winning pop star stayed out of trouble and met other conditions of a plea deal reached almost a year ago.
Clark County District Court Court Judge Jessie Walsh dismissed the case against the 26-year-old singer-songwriter of hits including "Just The Way You Are" and "It Will Rain."
Mars, whose real name is Peter Gene Hernandez, didn't appear in person for the brief hearing in Las Vegas.
He pleaded guilty last Feb. 16 to cocaine possession, but the judge postponed accepting the plea. She gave Mars probation, fined him $2,000 and ordered him to perform 200 hours of community service and eight hours of drug counseling.
Mars acknowledged having 2.6 grams of cocaine when he was arrested in a bathroom in September 2010 after a nightclub performance at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
His attorneys, Blair Berk and David Chesnoff, said Mars has abided by the requirements. He could have faced up to four years in state prison.
Mars worked with unspecified children's charities and health-related organizations to complete his community service, Berk said Tuesday. She has said the singer appreciated the chance got as a first-time offender to have the felony charge dismissed.
The former child entertainer from Hawaii began his career at age 4 as an Elvis impersonator. He moved to Los Angeles in 2002.
las vegas, drugs, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Camden teen reported missing
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 49 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!