Brooks chokes up testifying about $15M hospital gift
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma (AP) -January 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Country singer Garth Brooks has given an tearful account to an Oklahoma jury of his failed efforts to honor his late mother by getting a women's health center named after her.
Brooks choked up Friday while testifying in his lawsuit against Integris (in-TEHG-rihs) Canadian Valley Regional Hospital. He is seeking the return of $500,000 he gave the hospital and punitive damages.
Brooks says he donated the money to the hospital in his hometown of Yukon thinking he had a deal with its president, James Moore, to name a planned women's center after his late mother, Colleen. But the women's center never got built and Moore has testified there was never such an agreement.
Brooks' accountant testified earlier Friday that she didn't know of any conditions tied to the donation.
lawsuit, garth brooks, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes 46 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents 45 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living 44 min ago
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt 51 min ago
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery 47 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 39 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 37 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
41 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire...
46 min ago
- Rescuers airlift horse out of Angeles...
35 min ago